Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Let the games begin

Since mid-September, I haven't been allowed to workout. (And I still can't get over it.) My dry spell ended mid-December when I (finally) set foot at the gym. And boy did that feel weird. I felt like the new person who just joined and knew nothing about working out. I wanted everyone to know "I have a four-week-old at home!" yet I wanted no one to look at the pooch under my shirt (which probably didn't help the newby look in my eyes).

Actually, I guess it ended two days from being home from the hospital after delivery and we took Emmy for a walk. It was exhausting and painful, but was so nice to get out. After a few more walks and a few more weeks of recovery, I moved up to the gym. I may not be like many endurance athlete moms out there, but I decided to make it an easy recovery and not do any strenuous activity until after six weeks. I wanted to avoid any possible injuries or long-term effects of working out too soon. This meant no running (and still, to this day - 8 weeks later - I haven't run).

During my sixth week post-delivery, and after my doctor check-up, I decided to take the plunge - in the pool, of course. Wow - did that feel weird. I'm so glad I kept up swimming during my pregnancy; I think it made it a lot easier to get back into it, not to mention help my delivery and recovery. Like I mentioned before, I believe working out during pregnancy is so important (but please make sure you've cleared it with your doctor beforehand AND make sure not to push yourself too hard).

It started with 30 minutes in the pool. I've now swum four more times in the last two weeks and I'm almost to my old swimming self - almost. The second swim I must have been swimming in mud, but the third and fourth were better. I started doing intervals, and doing drills every swim to work on the ol' form. The only thing I wish would snap back is my swimsuit body, but I'm being told that'll come in time (ugh).

Mixed in with the swims are walks outside, on the treadmill or time spent on the elliptical, and some weights. My legs are already more toned, I can see my arms coming back to form and my sides tighten up. But I can tell this is going to take a few more months. Too bad I don't have as much patience for this as I do with Emmy!

No comments: