Friday, January 8, 2010

You mean *I* have patience?? Who knew?

Even before my husband and I were having a baby, we'd always talk about how we'd be with a baby. When we were at a restaurant and heard a baby screaming, we'd look at each other and I'd say, jokingly, "This is when I'd hand the baby to you and walk away." And he'd agree.

Flash forward to today, and my, have the tables turned. Everyone in my family knows I have little patience. And I'm sure many of those who know me would agree. I dislike surprises, I have bouts of road rage and if I have to wait on others I could possibly blow a gasket one day. But from the day I had my baby, it's as if I'm a totally different person with her. Could I possibly be a mother? Hmm.

Now, don't get me wrong, now that I've gotten out and about since the birth I've noticed I still don't have patience for strangers. And sometimes for my husband either. But for little Emmy, she could be wailing and I can hold her and try to make it go away. My husband, on the other hand, is now the complete opposite. And I am the one who is trying to teach him patience!

For instance, Emmy's crying and we do what we can to settle her down. Usually this is around (or to be more exact, past) bed time and we've calmed her down, she's sleep and we put her in her crib. Five minutes later she's crying again. One parent gets frustrated; the other tries to soothe her back asleep. Another scenario is she's crying and one parent wants to immediately give her a bottle or hand her to mom to feed so she'll stop. The other wants to make sure she doesn't have a wet diaper or just wants to be held. It's hard when both are tired and this is usually where nerves are shorter, but it's getting easier.

He may think I'm knocking on him, but I'm not - since the begining of our relationship, I've learned a lot from him. But it seems this is his chance to learn a little "motherly love." He's an awesome, wonderful dad and has been such great support; I couldn't imagine going through this - or want to, obviously :) - with anyone else.

But it takes patience, honey.

No comments: