Thursday, January 7, 2010

Outlook on 2010

I'm finally getting the opportunity to complete this post while trying to get Emmy to go back to sleep (it's 6 a.m.). I'm also post-dating this by nearly a week as I've (again) been working on this post but have yet to complete - so wish me luck.

Now that the first week of the year is nearly complete, I guess it's no better time than now to pull together a few things I'd like to work on this year. I've pretty much quit doing 'resolutions' to work on, so I like to call my thoughts for the new year 'perspectives.' And since I'm getting around to this a bit late, I've had a chance to read a lot of others' goals for 2010 and some have been quite aspirational and some pretty darn interesting. Of course, I'm always interested in seeing more ideas that I could possibly be interested in, so let me know what are some you've got on your list.

In no particular order, here are some new perspectives I'd like to achieve in the beginning of this new decade (can you believe it's a new decade already!??):
  • Enjoy every minute - whether good or bad - of my baby girl
  • Keep the love in my marriage, as we can see it can get a bit trying with the new addition (but luckily we can never stay mad at each other for too long)
  • Learn to cook more meals, outside of my usual spaghetti and enchiladas(my husband will laugh at this one)
  • Make sure to give myself me-time
  • Complete the New York City Marathon (I've yet to get to race it though I've 'won' the lottery 3 times and even had plane tickets in 2007 though I got horribly sick 3 days before leaving)
  • Spend less (ha!)
  • Don't be guilty about taking aforementioned me-time
  • Learn more about photography (which would consist of me getting my longed-for digital SLR camera - ahem)
  • Work on my running speed - I'd like to get my mile pace down to the 8's consistently
  • Swim consistently (at least 2 times per week, every week)
  • Be the best mom and wife I can be

Luckily, this list is a work in progress. I've learned - quickly - that not all goes as planned with a baby around. And for me as a Type A, super-organized, full-speed-ahead chick, this has been hard for me to adjust to. Thankfully my husband is much more laid back.

Speaking of a new decade, at the turn of the new year, we were all looking back at where we were while ringing in 2000. I was a senior in high school, kicking it at my parents' house with my best friend and boyfriend, while my brother and sister had a couple of friends over as well. At the strike of midnight, our lights went out. What?! With all the hooplah over Y2K, we got really freaked out.

Turns out my dad snuck to the garage and popped the switches. Nice one, dad.

And looking back at the decade, I have had so many experiences and have grown so much, it's pretty scary:

  • Graduated from high school
  • Graduated from college
  • Started my first job (and stayed there for the last 6 years)
  • Bought my own car
  • Rented my first apartment
  • Started my obsession with triathlon
  • Got married
  • Had a kid

Whew. It's been a great decade and a pretty positive one at that. Here's to a great 2010 and an even better decade that brings new experiences. And with Emmy and who knows if a brother or sister for her, I'm sure it will be very, very interesting. And tiring.

No comments: